Joel Kinnaman on new assignment
Exclusive interview before the Gotland visit
Hollywood star Joel Kinnaman comes to Gotland on Saturday for his new assignment as Ambassador ECPAT. In an exclusive interview with Helagotland.se he tells for the first time about his commitment to children’s rights. Additionally, if a magical vacation on the island. ”One of the world’s most beautiful places,” he notes.
In Sweden, he hit it big with movies about police Johan Falk and Jens Lapidus “Fast Cash”. After roles in major films and TV series such as “Robocop”, “Safe House” and “The Killing” has actor Joel Kinnaman managed that difficult to build a name for himself in Hollywood. The attention is great, as is the media pressure. Everyone wants a piece of the new Swedish star.
But when ECPAT Swedish Secretary General, Anders Islander L. Pettersson, sent the email asking if he wanted to be an ambassador for the organization, he did not think twice.
- I think that if I could use a bit of the excess of all the attention I get and give ECPAT boosted so it’s obvious. I knew about the organization and their important work in the past, he says.
ECPAT works against human trafficking and child sex trafficking, heavy topics that concern. On Saturday organizes ECPAT along with Visby GK golf competition “A blow to the child sex trade.” Joel Kinnaman will attend the gala dinner in Kultudralen, his first appearance as an ambassador. This is also the first interview he gives on his new engagement.
- I have a huge respect for all persons affected by these issues. The victims, police officers and others involved. I have read on some and it’s … it’s hard just to read about. I think everyone is horrified, becomes enraged, that this exists and happens, Joel Kinnaman.
- If I can help in any way I do it.
Golf competition on the day he will be to abstain.
- Yes, it’s probably best. It would be a danger to the public to let me out on a golf course, he says, laughing.
Right now his career is on track for Joel Kinnaman. On Friday released the fourth and final season of the critically acclaimed “The Killing” on Netflix, where he has one of the lead roles.
And leap up the ladder means that he does not need to work as much.
- I have come up a level thanks to Robocop and “The Killing” and can be more selective with what I do. Now I have been on leave and at home in Sweden in a month and a half, and I’ll probably start to work again until the autumn.
Do you live in Sweden or in Hollywood?
- I work in Hollywood, but when I’m off, I’m happy at home. I missed Sweden and thrive here.
What is your next film project?
- It’s not quite clear yet. There are three projects right now, but funding has not been resolved yet. It looks well like they get off, but before everything is ready, you can not talk about it. But it will probably be in the fall.
Gotland visit on Saturday will not be the first of Joel Kinnaman. He’s been here several times and says:
- It is undoubtedly one of the world’s most beautiful places. I think a lot of Gotland and looking forward to get there again.
He has a memory of Gotland, which means extra lot.
- I was maybe four or five years when I went there on vacation with my mom. We rode around the island and it was very special for me. It’s something I like to think back on.
The contest “A blow to the child sex trade” held at Kronholmen on Saturday. There are still some places left, and all profits are donated to ECPAT.